You know I talk a lot about engagement.

If you’re familiar with our work at Unleash Learning™, you know we talk about it a lot.

That’s because intentional engagement is a key that unleashes learning for students.

It can be tough to keep your students engaged throughout each lesson you teach.

Yet, there’s one surprising way you can consistently boost student engagement while also creating the conditions that unleash learning for your students.

Many teachers we’ve worked with have told us this strategy have not only helped them increase engagement in their classroom, but it has changed how they see effective teaching and learning.

If you want to prepare lessons that consistently engage all your students, this strategy is for you.

I’m cheering you on!
William

A QUESTION FOR YOU:

What strategies would you use if you lost your voice to ensure all your students are fully engaged? Add your comments below and share your wisdom.

9 Comments

• Stephanie Salazar says:

If I lost my voice I would provide opportunities for students to interact with each other in order to discover the purpose of the learning together.

• William DeJean says:

Thank you Stephanie. That kind of intentional engagement is the key that unleashes learning.????????‍♀️

• Karelynne Randall says:

#Simple (not really- it’s scientifically proven, isn’t it!) #Strategic and #Brilliant!
    In the current environment of oh, so ‘over-stimulus’, this is a sure-fire way of instigating and influencing active engagement of the student’s developing neurology. This type of engagement stimulates neurological growth and facilitates highly-valuable ‘scaffolded’ learning.
    Wonderful work my valued friend!

• William DeJean says:

Thank you Karelynne for your wonderful feedback and kindness. It is true, this kind of engagement does stimulate neurological growth. That’s why we say it’s all about lifting the weights!

• Rhonda says:

To lose my voice I would have material/notes/instructions to be read by students and then have them working and talking together, then reporting back to the class so I would be the facilitator but the learning and talking would come from them. Not an easy thing to do. Takes a bit of practice!

• William DeJean says:

Hi Rhonda – such great thinking and great examples. It does taking planning and practice for sure! Thank you for sharing your wonderful insight.

• Matt says:

❤️ this video…brain is whizzing.

To engage students in the classroom, we need to keep our students active during the learning process – that’s why I like peer teaching so much – assign students a task to ensure they are ‘lifting the weights’ as this will motivate them to practice higher-level critical thinking skills to promote meaningful learning experiences – less of me and more of them!

• Dale Marshall says:

Providing our students a voice is the key to their personal development. Social and personal capabilities is an important focus area and providing students with an opportunity to collaborate and lead their own learning provides them with much needed skills for their future. Peer teaching and constructive feedback provides opportunity for both parties to develop and learn.

• Phil Weickhardt says:

I would use powerpoint slides and silence. The classroom would be flipped, resources developed and available ahead of time. Students would have hints and tips about where to go for information and a task with choices so that they could engage and support each other.

Thanks for helping me THINK!