Skip to main content

I wonder if this Unleash Learning TV interview on how to create a trauma-informed strengths-based classroom…

….will cause you to see some of your students, learners, participants or team members in a different light? I know it did for me.

In fact, as I spoke with Dr. Tom Brunzell, Director of Education at Berry Street, I kept thinking…

….I wish I had known this stuff so much earlier in my career!

Whether you’re a classroom teaching, presenters, trainer or run professional learning, this episode will help you ↓

• Get a definition of trauma that I think you’re going to love
  • Understand the needs of learners who’ve experienced trauma
  • See what COVID lockdowns mean for learners who’ve experienced trauma
  • Know stuff →  YOU that can support learners with trauma.

Plus, you can get a FREE copy of Dr. Brunzell’s new book.

After you’ve watched the episode, jump over the comment’s section, and join the discussion.

If your response is picked as “best comment” by our team, we’ll mail you a copy of his book, FREE, wherever you are in the world.

Want to make learning stick for everyone?

Then, this episode is for you!

I’m cheering you on!
Dr. William DeJean

GET YOUR FREE EBOOK

Learn 5 Essentials for Teaching, Presenting or Running Professional Learning in a COVID/Post COVID World!

8 Comments

• Sarah Landers says:

I really enjoyed your interview on trauma. I feel that our school has established those routines of self regulation however my favourite phrase was that of a “rhythmic classroom.” To me that is really taking your ability as an educator and human to the next level as it is very hard to show up every day and every lesson with your bag of tricks of “being an adult” and being an “amazing teacher and leader”. I have spent these holidays reconnecting with nature but also sleeping – I just can’t get enough of sleep. I am daunted by the fact that there is only one term left in the year and the future is uncertain however now I am very clear with who I have to be for my students, staff and families. And that is to reframe everyone’s strengths and continue to create conditions for success.
    Thank you for your inspiration.
    Sarah Landers, Teaching Principal, Medlow Public School, Nambucca Valley, Gumbayngirr Country, NSW

• William DeJean says:

Hi Sarah, gosh what a powerful reflection about your school, your students and yourself. It reminds me of so many of the Unleash Learning TV episodes we’ve conducted looking at the connection between who the educator is and the impact it has on the ways he/she makes learning stick for everyone. Plus, I really appreciate your term “creating the conditions for success” on so many levels. Thank you!

• Sofia Patavouka says:

Thank you so much for this interview. It gave me a wonderful new perspective of how to reach out to my new kindergarten class which I will take over only for term 4. We’re starting remotely but after 3 weeks we’ll go back face to face. I’ll definitely try to connect us all together even for this short period of time because we need this connection. Breathing in/out circles is a great idea as well as trying to provide students as much predictability as possible with their tasks, have a good ‘tempo’ and lower the ‘heart rates’. 😊

• Gian Hakim says:

Thanks Dr Tom and Dr William for the thought provoking podcast. Your discussions really resonated with me. I work in a general classroom but also in the learning diversity space and know how important building relationships with your students is. I loved how you described the breath in breath out strategy. I do this with my students during our meditation and yoga sessions . It is so calming and brings students into an equalizing equilibrium ready to begin learning. I would be interested to read more into “Trauma Informed strengths based classrooms.” You can’t have enough in your teaching toolkit!
    Thanks again
    Gian

• Adele Setu says:

I’m a parent with another 3 weeks of online learning coming up. Homeschooling my son, who just turned 7, with 2 other little ones at home is very challenging. After doing it for 10 weeks already, I’m a bit burnt out but the principles discussed here are very helpful. The most important take away for me in approaching these last few weeks is to establish rhythmic routines, create the conditions for success, and focus on my son’s strengths. These principles are especially helpful as he is too young to work independently or be self motivated. I feel encouraged that if I can apply these principles, we will have a household that runs a lot smoother even after lockdown. Thank you!

• William DeJean says:

Thank you Adele for sharing your important thoughts with us. The idea of rhythmic routines, really hit me as well. Good luck with, hopefully, the last few weeks of homeschooling for you and your children. William!

• How wonderful to hear of such informative, influential, and inspirational work in support of the most marginalised and ‘hardest to teach.’
    My key ‘take-away’ is the recommended focus on discovering ‘who we are as teachers.’
    To be effective educators we need to know how values form, what strengths we have, and and those of our students, to identify who we are, and how we can be (in practice), and appreciate ‘who they are and have potential to be’, before judging what they do.
    Everyone has ‘troubled moments’ (especially now COVID times) and all students can benefit from understanding values formation towards a strength-based focus, blended with the experience of learning conditions that support productive engagement.
    ‘Where attention goes, energy flows!’
    Thank you for your motivational work, Dr. Tom Brunzell and Dr. William de Jean.

• Heather Majurey-Lombardo says:

Hello William
    What a wonderful interview with Tom. As an early childhood teacher i was so interested to hear you discuss who the educator is matters. In my role working with young children i think this point is so important to build a culture of co-regulation with children especially during covid and understanding that the child’s response is not about you, if they push you away, they are trying to cope in a world that no longer is safe to many and we need to understand and respect these strong feeling. Then by focusing on the child’s strengths brings us back into their world and help support them through this time and work with them. I would really love a copy of Dr Tom Brunzell’s book and read into trauma further,
    Thankyou