If you and your team are working to support consistent and effective teaching throughout your organisation, here’s a successful strategy you can all use at the start of your learning sessions.
Always Write First.
When you always write first you’re giving everyone:
- an opportunity to lift the weights
- time to think
- an opportunity to activate prior knowledge
- a safe space to consider their own knowledge and thinking.
Here’s how it works:
1. Start your session by presenting a general question that connects to the topic of the session you’ll be exploring (shown on a white board or PowerPoint).
2. Make sure the question you use is of high interest and links to your learners’ lives.
3. Provide everyone a few minutes to write their individual answers.
4. Have everyone share their responses to a person they are sitting next to.
5. Invite a few people (no more than three) to share their response to the entire group.
6. Begin the session.
Always write first is a successful strategy you can use to support consistent and effective teaching and help to unleash learning for everyone.
I’m cheering you on!