If you and your school are committed to teaching and learning excellence, this is a MUST watch interview.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say this 7-minute interview is something you and your leadership team might want to watch together.

Did you know that Unleash Learning has its own podcast? We record all our sessions so you can tune in when it suits you.

Elaine Hazim, an educator for 25 years and Principal of Victoria University Secondary College, is going to share with you a small change her school made that has:

• Boosted student engagement.
  • Lessened teacher stress.
  • Increased effective use of instructional time.
  • AND improved student results.

The good thing is that it’s something you and your school can do, too.

And as Elaine says, “I don’t think we can ever go back… and I don’t think staff would allow us to go back!”

Know that I’m cheering you on!
William

A QUESTION FOR YOU ↴

Do you have your own classroom? If so, how do you use it to unleash learning? Share your comment below and help inspire others.

6 Comments

• Dianne Gibbs-Jones says:

I work part time so share rooms with other staff rather than having my own room. I share wall space for word walls and motivational posters which my students supplied. It is difficult when I need to share with one teacher who doesn’t mind a bit of mess. I prefer order in my room. As it is the other teachers room more lessons per week than it is mine I don’t feel comfortable in clearing up the left over handouts etc. i just tidy the pile and leave it at that.

Pride in the learning space has been something I have incorporated into my teaching since I first began. I like to think that this instills a sense of calm but also ownership of the space with my students. This helps to unleash their learning.

• William DeJean says:

HI Diane. Thanks for sharing your wonderful insight. One thing thing really captured my attention in what you said: instilling a sense of calm. This reminds me of the power of our classroom and what an important learning strategy it is for us as teachers. Thanks for the great work you do and for sharing your wisdom.

• Marcia Kern says:

I have been a “traveling” teacher without my own classroom, and I have had my own room, and the latter is most definitely the best. I could set up my class so that collaborative groups sat with one another. Also, I had a lot of subject-based posters and thought-provoking posters on the wall. I enjoyed having one section for student exemplary work, and I even had a small, personalized wall area behind my desk where I put all kinds of jokes that related to language arts, photos, etc. Traveling from room to room is really stressful, and having my own place allowed me to create a warm and informative classroom space.

• Deb says:

Having a designated classroom is fantastic! The first benefit is the teacher is not rushing from one room to another to be met with a chorus of cries from students saying ‘you’re late Ms!’ Of course I’m late! I left one room on the bell and am meant to be in another room at the same time teaching a totally different subject! Having your own classroom is the first step in setting up for success. 🙂

• William DeJean says:

Hi Deb. It’s such an important reminder about the inability of being present and ready to go if we are having to run from one room to the next. It is so true that the classroom is a first step in setting up for success. Thanks for sharing your insight!

• Karen says:

I worked with the wonderful Elaine when we transitioned to a system where teachers had their own classrooms. The difference it made to learning, connectedness and comfort for all was INCREDIBLE. It motivated us to be more proactive in setting up kids for success and to be accountable for the space. When my kids walk into my space, I am ready and waiting for them so the magic can happen. And the magic is what makes teaching the best job in the world.